Intest Res Search

CLOSE


Intest Res > Volume 10(2); 2012 > Article
Intestinal Research 2012;10(2):183-188.
DOI: https://doi.org/10.5217/ir.2012.10.2.183    Published online April 30, 2012.
A Clinical Review of the Intussusception in Adult
Su Jin Kim, Cheol Hee Park, Yong Min Kim, Seong Yeol Kim, Seung Yeon Chun, Chin Woo Kwon, Ji Won Park, Kyoung Oh Kim, Il Hyun Baek, Kyo Sang Yoo, Jong Hyeok Kim, Choong Kee Park
Department of Internal Medicine, Hallym University College of Medicine, Anyang, Korea
성인 장중첩증의 임상적 고찰
김수진, 박철희, 김용민, 김성열, 천승연, 권진우, 박지원, 김경오, 백일현, 유교상, 김종혁, 박충기
한림대학교 의과대학 내과학교실
Abstract
Background/Aims
Intussusception is uncommon in adults compared with children. The present study aimed to review our experience of adult intussusceptions and discuss the preoperative diagnosis and management. Methods: A retrospective review was performed for 25 patients, at least 18 years old. These patients were diagnosed as intestinal intussusceptions at Hallym University Sacred Heart Hospital from January 1999 to October 2010. Results: There were 14 male and 11 female with a mean age of 55 years. The most common symptom was abdominal pain. The preoperative diagnostic rate was 92% because of the use of an abdominal computed tomography (CT) and an ultrasound. A total of 9 (36%) patients had enteroenteric intussusception, 8 had ileocolic, 1 had ileocecal and 7 patients had colocolic intussusception. A discrete pathologic process was present in 22 (88%) patients and the remaining 3 (12%) patients were idiopathic. There were 12 small bowel lesions and 10 colonic lesions. Neoplasms were the most common etiology of intussusceptions. Of the cases with a defined colonic cause, 8 (80%) were malignant. Overall, 12 (48%) patients underwent primary resection of the intussusception without prior reduction, 11 (44%) patients had reduction of their intussusception followed by resection. Conclusions: Adult colonic intussusception is usually associated with malignancy. All patients with obstruction of unknown cause or lead point on CT should consider surgical exploration. (Intest Res 2012;10: 0-188)
Key Words: Adult, Intussusception, Computed Tomography
TOOLS
Share :
Facebook Twitter Linked In Google+ Line it
METRICS Graph View
  • 4 Crossref
  •   Scopus
  • 395 View
  • 3 Download
We recommend


ABOUT
ARTICLE CATEGORY

Browse all articles >

BROWSE ARTICLES
EDITORIAL POLICY
AUTHOR INFORMATION
Editorial Office
Room 305, Lotte Gold Rose II, 31 Seolleung-ro 86-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 06193, Korea
Tel: +82-2-957-6145    Fax: +82-2-957-6146    E-mail: thekasid@irjournal.org                

Copyright © 2019 by Korean Association for the Study of Intestinal Diseases. All rights reserved.

Developed in M2community

Close layer
prev next